Old 30-08-2005, 04:32 PM
Vox Humana

wrote in message
.net...
How long does it take for pawpaw seedling to begin bearing fruit? They
grow so slowly.

I have a bunch of pawpaws in the wooded area of my lot. They are from
suckers, not seeds - in my case. The smaller ones don't even bloom. A few
of the older trees flower but only set a small amount of fruit, say 10%. It
is my understanding that in order to bear fruit, they have to be pollinated
from a tree that is not a genetic clone. Therefore, they are not
self-pollinating nor could they be pollinated by the genitally identical
trees that result from suckers. In all, I only see a handful of fruit in
any year and the wildlife always gets 99% of that. Its hard to understand
how anyone could make this a commercial crop.