Old 30-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Neil Tonks

"Gilly" wrote in message
What can I do with the old, depleted soil from various pots and
containers?
The soil is compacted with roots, so it's more or less one big hard ball.
Our wonderful town council's rules say that soil can't be put into the
dustbin, nor can soil be put into the green garden waste bin! Can it be
put
into a compost bin? Failing that, I suppose I'll have to hope that the
garbage fairy will come and magically spirit it away.

I just dig this kind of material into the garden, either in autumn or (after
leaving it exposed to the elements all winter) in spring. It won't add much
in the way of nutrients but helps the textrure. Don't do this if the roots
it's full of are anything which will regrow next year, though!

--

Neil

Visit my Peak District walking website - www.peakwalking.co.uk