Old 30-08-2005, 10:10 PM
Jebediah Springfield

muellered_2000 wrote:
:: I have recently bought a house with a south-facing garden. The garden
:: is mature with large trees. I have cleared an area towards the back
:: and had hoped to grow vegetables in this area but have realised that
:: the shed, some conifer trees shade a lot of this area for most of the
:: day.
::
:: Are there any vegetables/herbs I could hope to grow in such an area? I
:: could get some sunshine into this area by cutting some of the higher
:: branches of some trees. Would reflecting light work (excuse my
:: ignorance of science) or does this not provide the right elements?
::
:: Thanks

I wouldn't attempt building any kind of reflecting system if I were you,
just trim a few branches off and this would probably be ample for lots of
plants.
Mint would probably grow well, but it has a tendency to go travelling
(everywhere)
We have had success with courgettes, runner beans, beetroots, radishes and
potatoes in a partly shaded area, and of course rhubarb, which would
probably grow on the Moon!

--
http://www.francecarp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/