Old 12-12-2002, 09:27 PM
Paul England

Default Is fire ash any good for soil ?

"HaaRoy" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 21:55:29 -0000, "Paul England"
wrote:

"HaaRoy" wrote in message
.. .
I have always thought that using ash from the bonfire was good for the
plants but am i under a false illusion ?

I remember reading somewhere, that wood-ash will make the soil slightly

more
alkaline. Obviously if it's scattered thinly, it shouldn't make much
difference.
However, if you've spent a couple of quid on a soil acid/alkaline test

kit
and you find that your soil is already on the alk. side of neutral, it

would
be best to dispose of your wood-ash elsewhere.
Regards ............ Paul England

how would roses take to this ash ?
good or bad ?

I'm not a fan of roses, but we do have a couple in the garden. However a
quick squint in the RHS booklet
"Roses - A Wisley handbook" states that roses will tolerate both acid and
alkaline soils, the ideal being a slightly acid soil (pH 6.5). I would
therefore keep woodash away from roses.
Another posting of yours (Japenese weeds) also hints that you have
rhododendrons in your neighbourhood,
which may indicate that your soil is acid, which may be good for roses also.
Regards ............ Paul