Old 31-08-2005, 06:26 AM
HC

G'day Chookie

Have you thought about a couple of ducks? They don't scratch in the
garden and will eat snails etc as well as give you some eggs. A bit
dish for water (or small tub) sunk into the ground makes a good swimming
hole for them too.

Hard to see I'm a duck/goose person, rather than chooks?? LOL ;-))

Chookie wrote:
In article ,
Terry Collins wrote:

Campbelltown Council (NSW) says;
If chookyard s paved, must be 10 metres from any habitation,
if chookyard is unpaved, must be 15 metres from any habitation,
or in otherwords, how to not have chooks without banning them outright.

There was a reason I wanted a large back yard... :-)

Of course, that's the *official* chook run. That's where you shut them up for
the night or when you're away from home. There's nothing there to ban you
from having them free-range or in a chook tractor during the day (unless your
neighbours complain, but if you offer them the occasional fresh egg you should
be right).

wondering if I have worked in a bureaucracy just a bit too long

Anyway, assuming I get hubby on side, what breeds do people recommend for life
in a back yard with two kids? I am interested in having one chook that lays
white eggs so that we can colour them at Easter, but expect we will need 2 or
3 for the household.