Old 31-08-2005, 07:54 AM
Squid Seven

Default patterns in surface of cacti at infrared/uv frequencies

I saw pictures about a decade ago of cacti covered in bright patterns. I
thought I remembered the caption of these pictures indicating that these
were photographs taken using film sensitive to frequencies either
slightly higher or slightly lower than what humans can see - but
frequencies that are visible to many nocturnal pollinators. Recently I
was reminded of this vague memory, and tried to find relevant info on
the web. I can't! Am I misremembering something, or was I possibly
hoaxed? The pictures were on the pages of a book I randomly pulled off
the shelf in a bookstore. It seems to me like a not unrealistic
evolutionary advantage - what we see as green cacti their nighttime
pollinators see in shades and patterns intended to attract and guide to
flowers.

Can anybody help me out here? I did find refs regarding the colors of
cacti flowers being those most visible at night, but nothing regarding
uv or infrared. And which of those would be more advantageous for
critters using moonlight and starlight? My instinct says UV, but it's
been a decade since I had physics 101...

Thanks from a well-rounded amateur!

I apologize if this is a double post - having a prob with my news
software...