Old 31-08-2005, 01:11 PM
dave hutton dave hutton is offline
Registered User

Location: South Coast UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Hi - I tend three gardens now and am thinking of buying a petrol strimmer.
The ones I'm looking at are a McCulloch or a Flymo, priced around £90. They
just seem a bit beefier than the electrics.
Has anyone had either of these or any thoughts?

Thanks,

Trevor P.
Hi Trevor

I've had a few petrol strimmers over the years, the current one is an Echo that you can add a long reach hedge trimmer to and has been very reliable - cost about £250 but will last a lot longer than the cheap ones. Also one point, the cheaper ones are generally much heavier and less ergonomic than the better ones, same with hedge trimmer and blowers. I've got stihl chainsaws and blower and again are excellent, always start. Also got a ryobi hedgetrimmer which so far seems really good. (also bear in mind a lot are made by the same company (electrolux - yes petrol kit) and rebadged, so are identical except for colour and price.

As you might guess I've done garden maintenance on a professional (ish) basis (now retired) and you do get what you pay for, I tried a couple of the diy store own brand blowers on a 'disposable' basis but they were a pain and ended up with the stihl which was only about 50% dearer but far lighter and more powerfull.

Hope this helps

Dave