Old 31-08-2005, 09:16 AM
George

"Gareee©" wrote in message
" George" wrote in message
news:GH6Re.294033$_o.224146@attbi_s71...

20% of the people live below the poverty line. An equal number don't
own their own means of transportation, and the buses don't run out of
town. There are also a lot of elderly people living in New Orleans.
Many of them were infirmed.

True, but I'm not talking about people without the ability or means to
leave.. I'm talking about the idiots who stay because they *know* nothing
bad will happen.

Likely, those were a minority of the people who did stay behind. Others
likely stayed (other than for the reasons already stated) because they
didn't want to leave their property unprotected in the aftermath. as we
have seen from the images of the looting, that may have been a good reason
in a lot of peoples minds to stay.

I am a flood victim from Andrew myself from davenport Florida, and fought
flood waters for 4 months with sandbags, along with my neighbors.

I couldn't tell you how many times that I came home to a foot of water in
my living room. I remember not being able to open my car door, because
water would have flooded into it.

That was after the fact, doing damage control. At the end, Fema declared
my home unlivable and I got a nice check to get me another place, but it
took 4 months of hell before they finally resolved that for me.

I suspect that it is going to take considerably longer than 4 months for
this disaster to be resolved.