Old 31-08-2005, 03:22 PM
Stephen Henning

"brsher" wrote:

Can anyone suggest a reason why my hydrangas won't flower. They are growing
very well, are tall and green. They are on a Northern
exposure where they usually do best. I got a lot of flowers for the first
few years, then almost nothing.

They need sun to bloom. A northern exposure will have less flowers.

Too much nitrogen fertilizer will prevent them from blooming but make
them grow tall and green. You might test your soil and see if you need
potassium or potash.

Most hygrangeas bloom on old wood, so pruning them will keep them from
blooming. This is especially true of the mopheads. Endless Summer is
an exception that blooms on old wood and new wood.

Some hydrangeas are not cold hardy and cold winters will kill the buds.
Florist hydrangeas frequently fall into this category.

Also, late spring freezes will kill buds. When this happens, the plant
usually loods bad.

It would help to know what varieties you have and where you are located.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman