Old 31-08-2005, 06:35 PM
Doug Kanter

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

"yue" wrote in message
oups.com...
Could anyone let me know how to tell the difference between a dill and
fennel plant. I think I have one in the garden with feathery leaves
and is about 6 feet tall. I checked some books in the library for both
plants' ID but I still can't tell the difference. Please advise.
Thanks in advance.

Good advice from everyone. But, if it smells like neither of those
things,
wash your hands thoroughly with DISH LIQUID, rinse off the outside of the
bottle, and come back here and tell us. I had poison hemlock (the real
deal)
in my yard back in the spring. It looked very much like fennel. I mention
this because although I certainly haven't seen everything the world has
offer, I haven't seen 6 foot high fennel. Dill, yes. Fennel, no.

Could be climate related. My herb fennel stands 6ft tall ( not
Florence fennel, the sort with a fat white edible bulb), but I've never
grown dill taller than 18 inches.

Janet

How tall have you seen Florence fennel get, Janet? I've never remembered to
plant it early enough to have it mature.