Old 31-08-2005, 05:12 PM
Mike C

Default Growing Sweet potato and vines

Hi all,

I have not harvested any sweet potatoes yet, will probably do it next
spring. I put a sweet potato in some water and in a few days it sprouted,
I've not got about 15-18 sprouts (slips) that are about 10-12" tall.

From what I've read, I take each of these slips, place them in water till
they root (they've all rooted now actually), then plant them in soil in the
spring. I have a couple of questions about his whole process, not sure I
understand it right....

Why are people sprouting these things and getting slips to grow in the fall?
Why not just drop sprouted spuds in the ground in the spring?

Do the slips need to be a certain size/maturity before planting them in the
ground?

If I was to try growing them indoors, does anyone know what size of pot I
should use? Someone posted something about a 2 gal. pot and getting a bunch
of sweet potatoes. What about a 4 gal? Or would this lead to cherry sweet
potatoes?

Any advice/expertise would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Mike