Old 12-12-2002, 11:28 PM
Kay Easton

Default Leylandii - Its days are numbered!

In article , Chris French and Helen
Johnson writes
In message , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Chris French and Helen
Johnson writes

I haven't read it yet.

I've now had a bit of a read, though not in detail, my take on the
proposals is this:

snip
3. A high hedge is defined as two or more adjacent evergreen trees or
shrubs which form a barrier, of a height greater than 2 metres.

Two trees makes a hedge!!!

This is the law we are talking here - not real life.....

True :-)

I can forsee a situation when two large Leylandii growing near a house
could block out a lot of light.

*One* large leylandii could block out a lot of light!

But evergreen, so the 15ft lilacs are OK :-)

Looks like it.

Does that mean my cypresses aren't a hedge, because there's a small
deciduous Viburnum between them, so they are not adjacent?

Adjacent does not have to mean adjoining.

'Thrown together', literally, isn't it, from the latin? Things can't be
adjacent if there is something else between them.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/