Old 12-12-2002, 11:21 PM
Stephen Howard

Default knobbling a buddlea tree

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 23:53:07 GMT, (Andy Spragg)
wrote:

"MC Emily" pushed briefly to the front of the
queue on Wed, 11 Dec 2002 23:21:47 -0000, and nailed this to the shed
door:

^ Before you do this, where abouts are you? If you're close enough to me I'd
^ gladly take it off your hands, providing it will stand being dug up and
^ moved. I've already planted one of these to attract the butterflies and
^ it's doing really well but I have plenty of space for another one.

We don't have room for another, but I am definitely bemused by the
concept of wanting to /get rid of/ a buddleia ...

I'm not. I'm a big fan of this marvelous plant - the variety Alba in
particular, with its white blooms which act as a superb backdrop for
the glorious colours of the visiting butterflies - but I can well
appreciate how it can be a bit of a pain to find the standard variety
growing slap bang in the middle of a dainty border, given its tendency
to exploit even the barest of resources.

Trouble is, the plant fools you - for the first few years it's
relatively compact, and the butterflies it attracts make it a welcome
addition to the garden... and then it just seems to grow
exponentially.
The big mistake most people make is to cut it back.... this just makes
it angry, and it comes back at you bigger and bolder the next year.

Having said that, I've found the deep purple varieties to be rather
more genteel ( even managed to kill one last year in a botched
transplant operation ).

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk