Old 01-09-2005, 12:27 AM
madgardener

better put out more feeders Perry, I'm sure the winds stripped off all their
blossoms east of you. And it's quite awhile before they make their trek to
Mexico for winter...........I have hummer's here too. More than I normally
see. My blue Salvia (Blue Egnima that gets 5-6 foot tall) and 4 o'clocks,
Cleome, Phlox and trumpet vine are really getting hit hard with the large
population of hummers right now. They actually run off the butterflies that
are out in force! It's funny to see a hummer running a butterfly!
maddie
"Perry Templeton" wrote in message
As an aside to the storm, I am absolutely over-run with hummingbirds. I
had lots of hummingbird attractant flowers in my yard, and the storm
knocked all the blooms off. I had taken down the feeders, so the wind
wouldn't get them. The evening of the storm, I had cooked over a
campstove, was sitting outside eating and oh my gosh, got bombed by a
hummer. I immediately put down my dinner and filled up and re-hung the
feeders. The little darlings must have put out the word because it is
hummingbird heaven. A bright spot in all this mess.
Perry
Houma, LA
southwest of New Orleans

"madgardener" wrote in message

"Snooze" wrote in message
The attitude is we can afford to assist our own. In the aftermath of the
tsunami, many of the effected areas were not near airports with runways
large enough to accommodate transport aircraft, and those that were, did
not have the equipment necessary to unload and distribute relief
supplies.

understood, didja see those pictures of I-10 and the causeway? I also
watched CBS the other night when they decided on short notice to take
"the backroads of 190" and pointed out that major roads were bad enough,
but for rural back road communities, a 200 year old oak tree across the
only road was more devistating than anyone who doesn't understand this
can comprehend. I lived in an area where if the train was running, you
sat until it passed. Nevermind that the only grocery store was on the
other side....you had to wait. I can well imagine if the backroads to
this disaster haven't even been thought about....................little
things lift my thoughts though......like that Turkish man in front of his
little Po-boy and convenient store who was saying he was staying open to
feed anyone who needed food, that he could cook over a
pit.............that speaks of the core of what america used to be and
possibly is still.

I like to hope that in the face of more disasters that would affect MORE
of the country, we'd come together and tell the rest of the world to take
care of their own...........how I wish our son's and daughters were home
taking care of their own business in their own part of their country. I
can't imagine how the people who are FROM the area's hit hard are dealing
with the fact that their homes, possibly their families are gone for
good.........will the military let them come home to seek out their
families and assess the damages, or will they just have to find out when
information is released?

That is why the marines and navy were deployed into those areas. Any
city in America has sufficient roads and an army of forklift operators,
truck drivers and near an airport capable of landing a transport
airplane, so we don't really need to park an aircraft carrier to act as
a mobile airport and air traffic controller. Every sheriff's department
and fire department in the country has a trained Search and Rescue (SAR)
team, so we don't need SAR teams from Europe

good point. and you gave me a ponder to think about..............

The problem is, if we weren't at war, the national guard from every
neighboring state would have been activated to assist with security,
clean up and search/rescue. The problem is of course, all the equipment,
and guardsmen are busy searching for weapons of mass destruction in
Iraq.

oh yes, and didn't you hear? there were NO
MDI's.........................................I feel that if shrub really
wanted Iraq for the oil, why doesn't he just come out and SAY it, we have
the troops, we have the equipment, just take the country, take the oil
and sort out the terrorists from the rest of the folks who just wanna
live in peace, set up shop and build a few refinaries since the EPA isn't
gonna slow things down over there.....................and no, I didn't
vote for the
bastage........................................... ..............boy does
the Bayou boys song take credence here right now.........(no pun
intended) (Creedence Clearwater Revival) Bad Moon rising...........

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ne...rd+new+orleans

The first story is about the Iowa national guard sending 6 guardsmen and
some generators to a hospital, they should be sending way more then
that.

-S

just makes me tired. and how sad, shrub had to break off his vacation
early.......enough of this, I'm going outside to watch the frogs that
live in my BBQ pit fountain, and the hummingbirds who are oblivious of
nothing else but my late summer buffet, and pick a few ripe figs and
thank the gods for a sunny day, heat, and humidity all.
madgardener