Old 13-12-2002, 03:47 AM
Pam

Default Blueberry "Sharp Blue"

Rodger Whitlock wrote:

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 05:07:27 GMT, Repeating Decimal
wrote:

in article ult, Steve Harris at
wrote on 12/11/02 9:00 AM:

I have some blueberries (fruit) here marked "Sharp Blue" from Australia
and am thinking of planting a few seeds to join my recently planted
"Bluecrop" bush.

Is this cultivar worth growing here? Any tops?

I do not remember completely, but I think that is my main blueberry. I live
in the Los Angeles Area about three miles from the beach. It took about two
or three years to get fruit, but now I get about two crops a year.

[referring to Hortus Third's article on "Blueberries"]

There are two groups of blueberry cultivars. The "highbush"
cultivars, derived from Vaccinium corymbosum, are suitable for
colder climates. The "rabbit-eye" cultivars, derived from
Vaccinium ashei, are suitable for warm climate areas such as
Australia and Southern California.

Vaccinium ashei is native to the southeastern United States,
whereas V. corymbosum has a more northerly distribution.

Given the Australian provenance of your berries, I strongly
suspect that 'Sharp Blue' is a rabbit-eye cultivar.

'Sharp Blue' is a Vaccinium corymbosum with a very low chill factor. It does well
here in the PNW as well as in warmer climates. How well it will do in your
location, I can't speak to, but we seldom get much above 80 degrees Farenheit
here in summer and infrequently into the 20's in winter.

pam - gardengal
Pacific Northwest, USA