Old 01-09-2005, 10:14 AM

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
Yes, I think I'd agree with that, using a chansaw for the first time
to fell a tree is probably not a good idea. However there are other
risks in felling trees which are nothing to do with the sort of saw
you use, the OP should at least read how to fell trees safely before
attempting it, whatever sort of saw they're using.

Yes, that's good advice too. You really need to be able to walk round a
tree and gauge where it will fall if you cut the trunk straight across,
then know (and this only comes with experience) where to put the cut and
at which angle to get it to fall in another direction. It pays, if your
tree cannot be felled into an open space, or if there is anything close
which might be damaged, to attach at least one strong rope high up, so
helpers can guide it if it doesn't fall just where you expected.

We always rope our trees when felling, it doesn't take much extra time
and does give you rather more confidence that the tree will drop where
you intend it to.

--
Chris Green