Old 13-12-2002, 05:57 PM
Kay Easton

Default himalayan balsam alternative

In article , Andy Clews
writes
Thus spake flake unto the assembled multitudes:
I have himalayan balsam in the garden and now understand it's a notifiable
weed.

This is growing prolifically (but localised) along the banks of a stream in
an area of woodland near me. Does this mean I need to notify my local
authority of its existence?

I have emailed DEFRA with this question since no one on this ng seems to
be able to give this answer - people have said 'such and such is
notifiable' and referred us to the DEFRA site, but nowhere in their weed
information is there any indication that you have to notify anyone of
any weed (unless it is one of the 5 weeds (not including Him. Balsam)
covered by the 1959 Act and you are concerned at its spreading from
someone else's land - just having it on your land or seeing it somewhere
does not mean you have to notify anyone)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/