Old 13-12-2002, 07:07 PM
Serendipity

Default knobbling a buddlea tree

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 17:11:51 +0000, HaaRoy wrote:

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 23:21:47 -0000, "MC Emily"
wrote:

Before you do this, where abouts are you? If you're close enough to me I'd
gladly take it off your hands, providing it will stand being dug up and
moved. I've already planted one of these to attract the butterflies and
it's doing really well but I have plenty of space for another one.

Jaqy

its not possible to move it as it has squeezed into a small place
between conservatory and fence.
all i can do is cut it back..

.................................................. .......................
I had one between a dry stone wall and the greenhouse - self seeded -
in my back garden. Whilst it was fairly young - up to five years - I
was happy to leave it in position for the natural shade it gave to
the greenhouse, but then it started to take over, and the wood
which I'd cut back each year became rock hard.

One day when it wasn't expecting it, I attacked it with a drill,
ammonia, and putty. I mistakenly thought that I'd done for it
but no, it came back stronger than ever. I couldn't get at it in order
to dig it out, so I continued the attack at differing seasons for
several years before it succumbed.

This year I've bought in a new Davidii, because I missed
the masses of butterflies the old one had attracted.

This morning, clearing behind the greenhouse I noticed
a single green shoot growing from the blackened and
'dead' root clump.

Such pesistance deserves a reward, and in any case
- I keep telling myself - the greenhouse may be in a better position
further down the garden.

Happy Christmas everyone, and a Happy, and florifilous
New Year to boot!