Old 14-12-2002, 06:07 PM
GSV BP

Default Germinating Canna Lilly Seed

I have germinated one (of four) seed this autumn, now sat on the kitchen
windowsill having grown quickly to 6" or so since October.

I placed the seeds on moist compost in a freezer-bagged pot in the airing
cupboard. Only one of four seeds germinated, and it took about 4 weeks.

In hindsight, I'd use individual pots and just leave them in until they
either germinate or I need the room for laundry.. .

Al.

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
o.uk...
Last September, in France, I came across a splendid Canna. Very splodgy,
orange/creme flowers with variegated red/green leaves. Some of the
flowers had set some good seeds - which I picked.

Seeds are quite large and hard - I presume they'll need cutting to stand
any chance of germinating. Has anyone grown Cannas from seed?
Suggestions? What are chances of germination? How long until they
flower?

Regards,
--
Larry Stoter