Old 16-12-2002, 12:31 PM
Stephen Howard

Default Watering Xmas tree

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 10:48:40 -0000, "Paul D.Smith"
wrote:

Pot grown tree, about 5ft to very top, in a room at 18C. How much water
should I give it and how often in the hope it might see out the holiday
season and get "planted out"?

And how would you recommend I "plant it out"? It would be great if I could
re-use it next year, but if a garden feature is the best I can get, so be
it.

Paul DS.

P.S. I know, nasty thing to do to a pine, but if it survives, at least it's
better than just chopping it off at the knees.

A lot depends on how wet the soil is that you plant the tree in. I
usually find that I'm effectively planting my Christmas tree in mud -
so I never water it.
Then again, I don't have central heating - so maybe that helps.

The last tree I had with roots ( dug it up myself to maximize the
amount of root ) did me for three years until it started to get
shabby.
I shamelessly tossed it out into a rough patch in the garden - where
its still growing ( a little forlornly, it has to be said ).

I find it attracts ladybirds early on in the year.

As for planting it out - you can sink it in the ground in its pot. If
it gets too straggly to be brought indoors next year ( just lift it
out, pot and all ) then unpot it and replant it. To be honest though,
once they get like that they're not very attractive; and they seldom
recover.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk