Old 01-09-2005, 06:17 PM
BetsyB

The stores are reflecting what they are being charged for delivery by truck,
for all our food and household products. I am thinking we might be heading
into a depression. I was born durning the last one. NJ is jacking gas prices
by 50 cents in the next couple days. We are retired and don't really need to
go anywhere we don't choose. We are fortunate in that way.

"madgardener" wrote in message
there's a problem Betsy........the prices have already hit $3.29. I use
regular since there's no way I can afford the "premium" gasoline at $3.59
per gallon. At Exxon stations, the premium gas is almost $4! I saw the
local Exxon showing prices for premium as $3.89. My best bet would have
actually been to have followed my instincts (too late now) and top off the
tank, again, and saved myself almost $4 for the total savings.

And that doesn't mean that $3.29 is the lowest price it will stop at
before the oil reserves are processed. That might take a little bit.
Enough time to clean me out of anything I have to go towards gasoline. At
least my son gets paid Friday, but that's every two weeks. So we have to
figure that yesterday's half tank of gasoline which cost $24.30 will today
cost us $32.90. That's $8.60 difference. Now factor in that unless I
jump on the $3.29 now, and wait until tomorrow morning, the price might
actually be HIGHER. And gas buddy's website is showing prices relevent to
Monday's prices when it was still a DOLLAR cheaper than it is three days
later................................... I don't know where you are, but
where I am, I'm feeling screwed and it ain't even getting started. Here's
the insult. I knew prices were going to go up. I even anticipated higher
everything prices eventually because of the cost of transporting. But what
I didn't expect was when I decided not to run the very necessairy errand
this afternoon after seeing the huge price increase, I stopped at the
local grocery store and they had ALREADY RAISED PRICES ON STORE
ITEMS..............yesterday I could have gotten the meager items for much
less. So gouging is already in progress before the set cost of all this
has become evident. I see a long season and winter ahead of me with lots
of rice and beans and cornbread...............

(you might think this is being extreme, let me give you the example:
yesterday, a good medium sized bottle of orange Dawn liquid detergent
would have cost me $1.89 with my Food City discount card. Today, that same
bottle was priced at $2.99. Now I know that bottle was there yesterday. It
wasn't brought in today by the truck. I went to get a couple of microwave
dinners for supper. Monday I could have gotten them for 2@$5. today those
same dinners were 2@$6 so you see, it hasn't even begun and the stores are
already taking advantage.

Now add insult to injury. My son's friend and his mother and aunt's headed
to Houston Sunday in the path of the hurricane. They checked into the
hotel and paid $52.95 + tax for their rooms each. Yesterday, Antonio told
my son that they were notified by the management that their room rates
were higher. They figured since they were approaching Labor Day weekend,
and went down to pay for a week in advance until they could find a condo
to rent. They were informed that the room rates were now $134.95 per
night, and this was no Marriott either. It was a nice average hotel on the
outskirts of Houston. He and his mother and aunt's are now frantically
searching for a condominium to rent to save money that the hotel is
gouging them for now.....................

'nuff said. And I figure there will be more attrocities in the upcoming
days and weeks and months. I won't bore anyone with updates on it. I've
said enough.
madgardener
"BetsyB" wrote in message
Oops! Here's an address to find your better gas prices.
http://www.gasbuddy.com/

BetsyB

"madgardener" wrote in message
and we ain't seen nothing yet on the effects this is gonna have I
realize,son works at Lowes at night stocking his store he used to work
days in plumbing......he doesn't have a CLUE what is about to unfold in
regards to products, deliveries, availabilities, etc................life
is about to change in ways people haven't seen since Depression days.
good thing I'm a pack rat when it comes to food supplies.........which
reminds me, I need to hit Wally world for arse wipe and liquid soap
while I can and while gas is ONLY $2.69 a
gallon...........sigh...................
maddie
"Marsha" wrote in message
It's horrifying
"madgardener" wrote in message

"Marsha" wrote in message
Hi Marilyn, we were asking this same question in another group

I just wonder what it's going to take to wake people up to the
inevitability of gas rationing, and astronomical prices of food,
products, etc. I mean, do they realize that despite we're still in
the end days of summer, we're approaching fall, and there are a lot of
people who heat their homes with oil? (I have a heat pump that works
off of electricity, and for back up during power outs, a simple
fireplace in one room with an electric blower which of course won't
work during a power outage, but at least I can open the doors g) and
that oil will be so highly priced they'll have to decide wheather to
be cold or buy high priced food?

sigh.................we ain't seen nothing yet on how this hurricane
has affected the country.................................(I was
horrified yesterday by them showing the main pipeline that runs from
New Orleans up thru to New York that has a major break in it....... I
mean, wanna just send flyers out to potential terrorists for strike
targets?? Geeze! and no, I don't normally worry about stuff like
that, I mean, I live less than 60 miles from Oak Ridge for crying out
loud, I won't have time to do more than put my head between my knees
and kiss my arse goodbye if something were to happen over
there............

Howze yer gardening going, lady? haven't heard from you in awhile.
I've been laying low, myself letting the weedy grasses overtake the
pathways, and enjoying the multitude of flowers that persist despite
my lack of involvement. Depression and disaster are interesting
bedmates. I've been struggling all summer. But at least I'm safe. I
feel badly for the people down in the gulf. And if it weren't for the
fact that I am the transportation for my son's job responsibilities,
I'd pack up and go down there and do what I could to help. I'd feel
much better doing that, believe me.

thanks for hollering back.
maddie