Old 16-12-2002, 09:56 PM
Stephen Howard

Default New Allotment

On 16 Dec 2002 19:16:51 GMT, Simon Diaz wrote:

Hello all

I was due to get an allotment this month but they have closed until the
second half of January. If I get it then, the allotment will have been
overgrown and it will require 'digging' (I guess). Will the digging process
be too late? How long do you hav to let the ground 'settle'?

I have never grown anything before and am new to this.

I think your biggest problem is more likely to be that the ground will
be so wet as to be almost impossible to work with.

You might be better off considering using mulches for the first year.
A mulch covers the ground, blocking light to the weeds - which then
die.
Black plastic is very effective, but old carpet ( not foam-backed )
from your local tip does just as good a job - and allows the soil to
breathe ( and it makes the veg patch look nice and cosy! ).

Lightly fork in some manure before you lay the mulch down.

If you then sow your crops in pots or 'propapacks' you can cut slits
in the mulch and plant through it when the time comes. I've found that
this is a very effective means of growing crops on unprepared soil -
though it does limit what you can grow ( onions are fiddly as hell
using this method! ).

Spuds do well under a mulch - even with an unprepared soil you'll
still get some sort of crop...probably best to stick to a small sowing
of 'earlies'.

If nothing else, laying a mulch 'suspends' the state of the plot -
i.e. it won't get any worse ( which it will in Spring...once the weeds
really start! ) and gives you time to focus on a small areas at a
time..say to get it ready for a salad crop.

Come the end of the season in Autumn you'll be able to lift the mulch
to expose an almost completely weed-free plot. It should then be easy
enough to dig over ready for the next season.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk