Old 16-12-2002, 10:11 PM
Rod

Default Cause of "dirty" brussel Sprouts

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Rod" wrote in message

Sounds like grey aphids and the mould on the honeydew they secrete +

debris
from cast aphid skins.

I'd agree with that, from my own experience.

What I'd like to know is how the aphids get into the very, I mean very,
tight buttons I'm so proud of. It takes ages peeling off the outer leaves
until I stop seeing the blighters and their deposits.

It's worth it though, the sprouts are really delicious.

And sweet :-)

Mary

They're present at a very early stage in growth and seem to stay in the
tight parts of the plant - look carefully at any slightly yellowy crumply
looking growing points even as early as 2 true leaf stage. The distorted
growth is symptomatic of viruses carried by the aphids. Well fed otherwise
healthy plants outgrow the virus if the aphid infestation is not too bad.
Also look carefully at patches of aphids and see they don't get everything
their way - you'll see aphids parasitized by small wasps (chalcid group
iirc)
Unless I'm missing something the choice you have to make is possible
pesticide residues v some disfigurement by aphids.
Since sprouts will be on many minds at this time it's probably worth
mentioning that some breeders like Marshalls are selling varieties low in
the mustard oil that make some varieties bitter.

Rod