Old 16-12-2002, 11:06 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default New Allotment

"Simon wrote in message
I was due to get an allotment this month but they have closed until the
second half of January. If I get it then, the allotment will have been
overgrown and it will require 'digging' (I guess). Will the digging

process
be too late? How long do you hav to let the ground 'settle'?

I have never grown anything before and am new to this.

Welcome to the allotment world Simon, it's hard work but fun, even exciting,
especially when you first start.

Not being a lover of the mulching system or carpet etc, bloody mess it
looks, I would simply go for the digging routine.
You don't say the area you are in or the type of soil you will have and both
those will make a significant difference to how you garden.

Your problem is one we are all suffering from at this time, that's too much
rain resulting in high water tables and sodden ground. If like us your
ground is clay it's impossible to dig now, and one foot on it and it
compacts and will be as hard as a brick when it dries out.

The digging process won't be too late even if it's delayed 'till
February/March. You will still be able to plant most crops, even some Broad
Beans and "Feltham First" peas. Too late for Garlic already.
Once dug and raked we find you can plant immediately and I often go over
with the rotovator and then rake before planting to put some air in our
soil.
One thing, you don't have to dig it all to start planting, do just enough
for each crop and you'll have it all dug by the end of the season.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.