Old 17-12-2002, 08:53 PM
Martin Brown

Default Red spider systemic insecticide

Carol Russell wrote:

I'm devastated, the last red spider mite systemic insecticide known to me
has been discontinued. So how does the group deal with RSM.

Which one ? Dimethoate will work, but has become increasingly hard to find.
It is nasty and I will only use it on greenhouse ornamentals (and never on
plants in the house).

Malathion will work upto a point but is not systemic (OK for point and shoot
though).

You have to alternate between at least two insecticides with rsm or they will
gain immunity. Synthetic pyrethrums or soft soap makes for a plausible
alternative control, but you will never eliminate it with them.

I think there are still a couple of licenced products that will take on red
spider in the UK. Try
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...pider_mite.asp

Regards,
Martin Brown