Old 17-12-2002, 09:26 PM
sacha

Default Well done the Beeb!

in article , trevor.appleton at
wrote on 17/12/02 6:05 pm:

. I watched it as others did,but I could not see the point of employing
two gardeners to collect all the fallen leaves to compost and then
return to place them under the same trees that they had been collected
from in the first place.
If they had been left alone as nature intended they would have turned
to compost by themselves.

I have to agree with that. I simply rake them off the lawns and over the
base of shrubs such as fuchias to afford some protection. Its amazing how
the leaves get pulled under ground. Yor can see them half sticking out of
the ground, but give them a tug and their firmly attached to the soil.

snip
But in the case of that particular garden, it had to be managed especially
carefully because of the paucity of the original planting material. I
thought it probable that the point of such careful husbandry was to ensure
that the leafmould went where it was most needed, not just where it happened
to end up according to wind drift.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk