Old 19-12-2002, 06:15 PM
Victoria Clare

Default New Allotment

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

I mulch with cardboard or newspaper, then stick a layer of compost over

the
top. Paper/card breaks down and joins the soil, and you can plant

straight
into the compost. Does need more weeding (but no more than if you dig).

Couldn't use that or carpet etc., if you intend to garden organically.
Papers and cardboard can contain bleach and printing ink which has some
nasty chemicals.

Hah, you think that bothers me? I live on top of an old arsenic mine!

Though in fact having rabbits is the main motivating force - I have an
everlasting supply of damp newspaper that needs to be recycled somehow.
Burying it on the beds works well for me.

Victoria