Old 02-09-2005, 01:53 AM
Barbara

Trish Brown wrote:
Basil, I stopped our dog from barking (and howling at the moon and
whining at the back door) by using your method with one small
modification. Instead of using a loud chain, I used a water cannon!
(Well, not really... 'water cannon' sounded good, but it was actually
one of those far-reaching water guns they sell to kids in toyshops). I
started with your basic squishy-bottle, but that soon ran out of range
as the blessed dog began racing up the back yard in her efforts to
avoid it. No, the water gun was the way to go. Within three days, I
only had to pick it up and she would stop barking. Within a week,
calling out 'No' from the kitchen shut her up. Within a fortnight,
she had completely stopped barking!

snip

For what it is worth I also use the same method (large water gun) to train
my cats to stay out of my bird feeding area. However I tried to keep them
from seeing it was me holding the water gun, so they didn't associate the
water with me.
The 2 older ones never even blink if they see a bird now, though Pebbles and
Bam-Bam still like to sit and stare at the feeding area, thinking deep
kitten thoughts. :-)
Now if only the same thing would work on the pea brained scrub turkeys...