Old 02-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Jim Gremel

Penetrating epoxy will repair really rotted wood.

I have used one that is very watery and has a cure time of several
hours. The procedure is to brush it on, wait for it to soak in, then
repeat endlessly, until it stops soaking in. The epoxy penetrates more
on really rotted wood, less on solid wood. The treated wood will be
darker & have a sheen, but after a bit of time & one or more treatments
with lime sulphur, it will be very difficult if not impossible to
detect. It may need more epoxy in a few years.

I have treated the interior of an apple that was so rotted you could
carve it with your fingernails (it needed more epoxy in a few years)
and a priceless collected juniper that had crumbling shari. Both are
doing fine.

For me, the question that remains is, what will these trees be like in
10 - 20 - 50 years? Will they rot out under all the epoxy (or wood
hardener) & shed the plasticized wood?

I bought mine from a Richmond, CA manufacturer, but I think penetrating
epoxy is available at Home Depot & at boat shops for repairing rotted
wood.

Jim Gremel

On Sep 1, 2005, at 6:22 PM, Billy M. Rhodes wrote:

In a message dated 9/1/2005 9:15:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

I have a malphigia growing over a piece of driftwood. The wood seems
to be

softening somewhat. I had treated it with wood hardener before using
it.
Can I apply lime sulfur without harming the malphigia?
Carol in S. Florida - Zone 10

I am not sure I understand. Your plant has dead wood that you painted
with
wood hardener? Now it is getting soft? The lime sulfur will not
help, but
more wood hardener might. Or is it the driftwood that is getting soft.
Then
more wood hardener s what you want. I put some Min Wax Wood Hardener
on a
Bougainvillea it must have adsorbed six coats. Wood hardener will not
repair
really rotten wood, you must remove the rotted wood and apply the
product to good
wood to prevent further rot.

Billy

*********
++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++
*********
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/
--