Old 02-09-2005, 02:14 PM
Jim Stone

My SIL is manager of an X-mas tree farm and has had various training in pests
and their destruction; probably only relevant to her commercial products.

Anyhow, when she visited she noted the number of JBPs I grew and a few
random "bags" which she attributed to pine tip moths. I had noted minor
catapillar infestations on a few of my trees in the previous two years.

She was surprised I didn't have more of them- I think it was only about two
years after my buying spree...

She claims that one should not "squish" them - they should be detached and
burned (sewer disposal would probably work as well) as otherwise a stress
hormone is released causing further reproduction.

Certainly plausible... This is true of aphids and a few other insects... I saw
a brief spike in frequency in bags that levelled off once I started burning
them.

Truly effective or not, it's certainly more fun- once you get past the smell
that is... there's a certain satisfaction knowing the little buggers are
suffering in there!

Jim Stone
Seki Bonsai
Santa Fe, TX

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++