Old 02-09-2005, 03:07 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Snooze" contains these words:

I think I take back what I said, it appears we do need the assistance of
other nations. Given that the world knew about the magnitude of this
hurricane atleast 4 days before the hurricane hit the new orleans
area, they
had plenty of time to mobilize a recovery effort.

Unfortunately, the rest of the world assumed that the richest most
powerful nation on earth would be using those four days to prime-up its
pre-planned emergency relief services, which we assumed you would have
fully trained, practised and ready-to-go. We are completely horrified
and uncomprehending at the sluggish unprepared and grossly inadequate
response from your Govt.

Unfortunately that makes it even harder for countries outside to
know how to help the victims. It's not as if you're some helpless
rudderless third-world country where we can bring what's needed, wade
in, take control, and start organising the emergency rescue so
deperately needed. You've already got all the money, infrastructure,
skills, water clothes food medecine etc right there in the untouched
States but they aren't being put to use or delivered..and we just can't
see, from here, what outsiders can do to make it happen.

Janet (UK)