Old 20-12-2002, 12:48 AM
PaulK

Default Whinge! Was Leylandii

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "PaulK" contains these words:

£15/hour for 1850 working hours (normal employed working time) x 75% =
£20,800 top line income before any business costs are taken out

That would be an above average wage here. In Scotland as a whole,
plenty of people do skilled and responsible work for far less. For
instance, the back of public buses in Glasgow carry an advert which says
"PSV licence holders wanted as bus drivers; £6 per hour". On Arran, many
jobs in tourism, public services and care homes, pay under £6 per hour.

Janet.

Two points:

First on topic: Even so you have to allow for all the additional cost of
running a business £20k top line does not leave too much on the bottom line!
Hourly rates for garden work are far below that needed to sustain a viable
business and family - hence it is degenerating into an unqualified labouring
market.

Second, so far off topic that I don my asbestos suit as I type: Your point
on differentials between regions is well made and just serves to highlight
the ridiculous policy of National Salary Scales for (eg) public servants
like Teachers and Nurses. (Pray allow the cross border issue for sake of
argument?). A head teacher on Arran on £32k is very well paid, a Head
teacher at a local primary here in Wimbledon on £32k = London weighting of
3k is poorly paid!

pk