Old 02-09-2005, 08:22 PM
Vox Humana

"Jack Strickland" wrote in message
ink.net...
Over the last 2 planting seasons, I've had 2 differnet spruce tree plants
die in the same hole. Plants located about 5 feet away are doing well.

I guess it's possible there is something wrong with the soil in this
particular spot. I'm thinking of digging out a lot of the soil and

replacing
it with mew soil before putting in tree number 3.

Any thoughts?

The other plants might be better suited for your climate or their location.
The planting technique could be faulty. Some spruce are subject to fungal
disease and will die regardless of all else. New trees and shrubs need TLC
for the first couple of years, especially watering and winter care to
prevent dehydration and wind burn.