Old 20-12-2002, 04:23 PM

Default Fritillaria bulbs, still not planted aaagh!

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in
message ...
: On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 10:33:57 -0000, "K"
: wrote:
:
:: Does this apply to other bulbs/corms? I have some tulips - which I
gather
: will be OK as they are late planters anyway. The others I have are
anemone
: de caen and dwarf lilies.
:
: The method is one I learned (iirc) from one of E B Anderson's
: books. I used to have plunge frames for my terra cotta seed pots
: and would put weak and excessively desiccated bulbs directly into
: the sand plunge; a surprising number eventually revived. To this
: day I will pot up weak, flabby bulbs in sand for a season. Of
: course, you can not expect 100% success, but it seems a better
: course of action than planting them out directly in the garden.
:
: The advantage of sand over soil is that it is more or less free
: of pathogens: molds, fungi, bacteria, etc. And being inorganic
: won't become infected with these during the winter.
:
: As you already know, tulips can be planted quite late. They can
: take quite a lot of drying off, as can many narcissus. But
: Fritillaria meleagris, Leucojum vernuum, Anemone nemorosa,
: lilies, and Eranthis hyemalis (to name a few examples) detest the
: usually drying off given to bulbs. It is perhaps better to give
: all such as these the treatment I described.
:
:
: --
: Rodger Whitlock
: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Thanks, Roger, I'll give it a go, hopefully before Christmas. Nothing
ventured ...... as they say.