Old 03-09-2005, 01:01 AM
Jim Lewis

JerryC wrote:
I have what I'm pretty sure is an Ulmus Parvifolia (it's definitely an
Ulmus) which I bought at a DIY store here in England about 5 years ago.
It has done well throughout that period, even though I know almost
nothing about Bonsai. I've repotted it about three times. This summer
(I've kept it indoors almost all the time - it doesn't seem to like
being outside) the dear old thing has lost most of its leaves about 3
times (since May). They quickly regrow again and it's looking very
healthy just now, but I'm wondering if I'm doing anything wrong. I mist
it virtually every day and water it when it seems to need some watering
- this regime hasn't changed much since I bought it.

I last repotted it in early July - seemed OK except for some small
patches of what seemed to be light blue mould which I removed.

I'd be grateful for any ideas about what I should do, if anything.

Cheers

Misting AND water might be a bit much, depending on how much
"mist" you use. Water the tree ONLY when the soil feels dry.

They're tough trees, but 3X since May is a bit much and will
wear it down eventually.

Do the leaves turn black and crinkly first? There is a
disease (not sure whether it is bacterial or fungal) that
often hits these trees. But wet leaves seem to lead to it.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++