Old 02-09-2005, 11:21 PM
T i m

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 19:08:05 +0100, "pammyT" fenlandfowl
@talktalk.net wrote:

p.s. 'She' is ok with *our* runners (sweet/ not stringy) but her
favourite veg is probably brocolli followed by dark cabbage. Would I
have the same sorta luck with those next year or will the snails /
slugs eat them before we can?

Whatabout some spuds?

Why not start yourself a container garden in your own garden.

Hi Pammy .. erm I suppose we could but our back garden is full of
stuff and our neighbours is empty, unused and mostly wild pasture ;-)

In theory
there is nothing you cannot grow in containers, including spuds.

I wouldn't have thought that possible .. ;-)

You can
also grow beans.

Ok ..

I find french beans more rewarding as you get a huge crop
off each plant in a 6 inch pot.

Sri to be a pleb but what are they like? I generally like all beans
(broad, butter, kidney, baked g) whislt my missus does not (she'll
eat them but would prefer broccoli, cabbage etc).

Grow the green ones and the yellow ones,
sometimes called wax beans. At least in your own garden there will be no
weeding in pots on concrete.

Ah, I like the last bit ;-)

If I was to do this again I might tidy up his garden further. His
'lawn' is now big clumps of wild grass amongst dead bald patches. He
would be happy for me to do anything with it as long as it wasn't
permenant (and especially if it made it tidyier). So, I was thinking
of making more growing space and removing the remaining grass,
replacing it with black membrane and bark or slate chippings?

All the best and thanks for the thoughts ..

T i m