Old 03-09-2005, 08:57 AM
Henrik Gistvall

Jim Lewis wrote:

JerryC wrote:
I have what I'm pretty sure is an Ulmus Parvifolia (it's definitely an
Ulmus) which I bought at a DIY store here in England about 5 years ago.
It has done well throughout that period, even though I know almost
nothing about Bonsai. I've repotted it about three times. This summer
(I've kept it indoors almost all the time - it doesn't seem to like
being outside) the dear old thing has lost most of its leaves about 3
times (since May). They quickly regrow again and it's looking very
healthy just now, but I'm wondering if I'm doing anything wrong. I mist
it virtually every day and water it when it seems to need some watering
- this regime hasn't changed much since I bought it.

I last repotted it in early July - seemed OK except for some small
patches of what seemed to be light blue mould which I removed.

I'd be grateful for any ideas about what I should do, if anything.

Ulmus does not like to be sprayed it will develope blackspot fungus. I
think you might have interpreted leaf schorch as a sign that your ulmus
does not like it outside. If you place a tree outdoors that have been
inside it will loose leaves and they might start to look ugly. On the
other hand. When your tree is loosing leaves is a perfect time to
place it outdoors. Take it slow and little by little place it in full
sun.
Your tree will be much better off out doors. The new leaves will develope
a wax layer and can take the full sun.

Your tree will also be better off with a dormant period at a lower temperature,
around 0-15°C during the winter.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++