Old 03-09-2005, 01:02 PM
Stubby

Bill Stock wrote:
Our lawn has several large dead spots. One is about 4' across on the sunny
part of the lawn, another is about 2' across on the shady part of the lawn
and a third consists of a bunch or small circles that have not YET joined
together to form one big dead spot. These spots started appearing about two
months ago or perhaps more correctly never recovered from the dry spring
like the rest of the lawn. I fertilized in late May and did not start any
watering until mid June.

I have the same problem. I don't water at all because the Town doesn't
permit it. I put down fertilizer twice and real lime once. From my
reading there is a common bug that eats the grass roots and spread out
radially. You can peel up the dead turf like a carpet. I dusted with a
bit of Sevin, but I believe any insecticide would do.

There is a chance this is a fungus (Fairy Rings). I'll spray with some
fungicide if it doesn't start recovering soon. In then end, scrape it
up, add some seed an starter fertilizer and wait for Fall rain.