Old 03-09-2005, 08:01 PM
benzette

bench grinders with round wheels is a bit more difficult unless you can
master holding the blade at the precise angle everytime...

I dont have a bench grinder so I use a sharpening stone specifically
made for sharpening lawnmower blades that fit into drill motors/
cordless drills.

Also I have an attachment for Dremel tools that are specifially made for
sharpening lawnmower blades. The Dremel attachment isn't quite as good
since it is hard to menuver the attachment around the part of the
lawnmower blade which is bent up for air deflection.

I nice new flat file would be the better way to go if you have the time.

James wrote:

While we are on the subject, can someone try to describe the entire process
for sharpening a mower blade?

When I get a new blade, I know what it looks like, but I don't know the
correct "approach" to get it sharp.

I use a small bench grinder, and I hold the blade up to the grinder, but
usually I feel that I am grinding off more blade than I need. It seems
that knowing the correct "angle" to hold the blade to the stone is the key,
but for the life of me I can't seem to get the hang of it.

And no, this is not a troll.

--James--