Old 03-09-2005, 05:37 PM
Mark Bornfeld

Default Arborvitae: just damaged, or is it dead?

I planted a row of 6-foot emerald green arborvitae (thuja occidentalis
'smaragd') in my back yard about four months ago (May 2005), and have
been careful about regular watering since then. After a one-week
vacation, I returned to my home to find one of the trees with totally
yellowed and brown foliage (no remaining green). The other trees
(immediately adjacent-- presumably with the same environmental
conditions) show slight signs of yellowing, but are on the whole faring
much better than the tree in question.

I'm located in Brooklyn, New York (zone 7), which has had a hotter than
average summer, with very little rain-- I would say drought conditions.

Should I assume that the tree is just suffering heat stress and is
dormant and will recover, or should I assume the worst and simply buy a
new tree?

Thanks in advance!

Mark
--
Remove "mung" from email address to reply