Old 04-09-2005, 02:38 AM
SVTKate

How about this:

Draw it to scale on graph paper, then use a compass!

You can then transfer the layout from paper to planter with very little
stress.

Kate

"Warren" wrote in message
: Salty Thumb wrote:
:
: pick a set of reference coordinates. You know the east, south and west
: are tangent to the circle. equation of line is y-b=m(x-a), circle
(x-c)^
: 2 + (y-d)^2 = r^2. Solve for c, d, r. Choose the r the fits your
: criteria.
:
:
: Gee. I didn't realize it was that simple.
:
: Nor have I felt as dumb as I do right now looking at that equation. I have
: no idea where to even start.
:
: One of the things complicating this is that there are two segments on the
: west side. I'm not sure if the circle will be touching both, or just one.
:
: It's to the point that I'm ready to scrap this project. Solving this
problem
: in a practical way looks like I'm going to have to clear the whole area at
: once, which isn't something I'll be able to have enough labor to do at the
: right time of the year in the available window. I could just put in a
: smaller circle that doesn't touch the edges, and hope it's placement
doesn't
: look too "off", but then I'll have some left-over scrap areas that'll need
: to be cared for in some way. (It's hard to describe it all, as it is such
an
: irregular space.)
:
: I'm ready to just toss the whole concept of repeating circles, and go with
: something more free-form. I did think that the repeating circles vs. the
odd
: angles of things I can't move (like the driveway, the house, the street
and
: the lot line) would look good, but I obviously underestimated the
difficulty
: of the geometry when one can't just clear the land, and use more practical
: methods like stakes, strings, and chalk lines that can be easily erased if
: drawn wrong.
:
: --
: Warren H.
:
: ==========
: Disclaimer: My views reflect those of myself, and not my
: employer, my friends, nor (as she often tells me) my wife.
: Any resemblance to the views of anybody living or dead is
: coincidental. No animals were hurt in the writing of this
: response -- unless you count my dog who desperately wants
: to go outside now.
: Have an outdoor project? Get a Black & Decker power tool::
: http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker/
:
:
: