Old 04-09-2005, 08:20 AM
George

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
news
We have used the kind of toilet valve that has the float right on it. It
does not have the torque of the float valve arm. So far, ours has lasted
for about 7 years.

Jim

Right. That was really the kind I was thinking about. It has a specific
name, But I can't think what it is.

George wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

I didn't realize the evaporation amount is so high. I have two barrels
one pouring into another, around 40 gallons. From the sun and drops
that splashed out, I have to top about 2 gallons a day.

I plan to replenish water via my drip system for the plants. It will
be tap water but it will drip out to replenish the water. Will it be
OK? I think we have chlorinmine. I only plan to use it during 10-14
day vacations.

What about I place a big tub of water in a seperate container and use a
siphon hose to equalize the water so the evaporation have as much
impact?

Does anyone have ideas for an auto top off system that won't cost too
much?

You will definitely have a problem with chloramine. If you don't mind
spending a couple of bucks, you can set up a large rubbermaid tub (25-50
gal) and place it higher that one of the barrels. Set up an old fashion
toilet ballcock flush valve inside the barrel (mounted to the side of
the barrel on the inside wall with metal or plastic stapping) to receive
the top off water, and connect the inlet to a hose that comes from the
bottoms of the rubbermaid tub. When the water level gets low enough,
the valve will open and allow the water to flow until it gets high
enough to shut the valve. That way, you can make up enough treated
water to last until you return.