Old 04-09-2005, 12:36 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Hi Bindi,

Welcome to rec.pponds. Have you a pond? Most of us began by lurking
and then took the risk of posting. After a while, a form of friendship
grows. You are welcome here.

I don't remember the name of the one we bought, but there is a picture
of it on our pondsite...which should be listed at the bottom of this
message. If not, however, it is:

http://www.home.bellsouth.net/person...WP-jameshurley

Jim

Bindi wrote:
George wrote:

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
news
We have used the kind of toilet valve that has the float right on
it. It does not have the torque of the float valve arm. So far,
ours has lasted for about 7 years.

Jim

Right. That was really the kind I was thinking about. It has a
specific name, But I can't think what it is.

Water cistern ballcock

Bindi.
I'm new and really just lurking to improve my knowledge right now
but hello everyone!

George wrote:

wrote in message
egroups.com...

I didn't realize the evaporation amount is so high. I have two
barrels one pouring into another, around 40 gallons. From the
sun and drops that splashed out, I have to top about 2 gallons a
day.

I plan to replenish water via my drip system for the plants. It
will be tap water but it will drip out to replenish the water.
Will it be OK? I think we have chlorinmine. I only plan to use
it during 10-14 day vacations.

What about I place a big tub of water in a seperate container and
use a siphon hose to equalize the water so the evaporation have as
much impact?

Does anyone have ideas for an auto top off system that won't cost
too much?

You will definitely have a problem with chloramine. If you don't
mind spending a couple of bucks, you can set up a large rubbermaid
tub (25-50 gal) and place it higher that one of the barrels. Set
up an old fashion toilet ballcock flush valve inside the barrel
(mounted to the side of the barrel on the inside wall with metal or
plastic stapping) to receive the top off water, and connect the
inlet to a hose that comes from the bottoms of the rubbermaid tub.
When the water level gets low enough, the valve will open and allow
the water to flow until it gets high enough to shut the valve.
That way, you can make up enough treated water to last until you
return.