Old 04-09-2005, 11:22 PM
Bob Hobden

"Duncan Lyall" wrote
Thanks for all the advice ...

So Tomato blight it is then.

I have used the same cultural practices for years without suffering
this, the only thing I've done differently this year is grow Potatos
and they have shown no sign of blight.

Guess it will have to be beans, onions and courgettes next year then.

As I said Duncan, try the French "Ferline" it works, it's a large but normal
shaped Tom with quite solid flesh, not too watery. I've heard rumours the
French have other blight resistant toms too.

From Nick's comments it's obvious I'm a little old fashioned in my knowledge
of this disease so it looks like you could grow in the same place next year.
(I wouldn't recommend it if we were talking spuds with blight as I've never
ever managed to find all the spud whilst digging them up.)

Another method of growing Toms I heard about some years ago which would suit
you as you grow up a fence was to use some clear plastic sheeting (bubble
wrap?) as a roof over the plants to stop them getting rain on them. You put
it over like an old fashioned tent (with guy ropes over uprights and a
crossbar) and it doesn't need to reach the ground just keep the rain off.
You could staple it to your fence and some sloping poles like half a tent.
It also allows the plants to retain any day heat into the night so helps
stop cracking caused by temperature changes, indeed like their own
polytunnel.
When I get our new allotment site I intend to try this method myself.

--
Regards
Bob