Old 05-09-2005, 08:57 AM
Duncan S

Hi Drew

Hmm, looks like I have been really unlucky then as I did try to save
some of the crop by picking them when they were green and ripening on
the windowsill (as I have done for many years) however as soon as they
started showing signs of ripening they also started to go black ....

I never use any pesticides on my fruit and veg ('organic' or
otherwise) so I guess I'll have to try the resistent variety next year

Ho Hum, guess I'll have to go back to the rock hard tasteles muck they
sell in the supermarkets.

Cheers
Duncan

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 14:41:58 +0000, Drew
wrote:

Duncan Lyall Wrote:
Hi

I have been growing tomatos outside in the soil in my garden 20 miles
north of London in the UK for a number of years now.

I never grow them in the same place two years running although my
favorite bed, the one I used this year, hosts a crop every two years.

The bed faces West and is backed by a larch lap fence.

I fed at planting with pelleted chicken manure and then regularly with
Miracle Grow (last years batch).

This year, for the first time I grew potatos in the bed next door,
they have performed well and have shown no sign of blight (as far as I
can tell).

This year I have had an almost total crop failure.

Pictures here http://tinyurl.com/8qcrh show the
current state of the crop.

I will miss my home grown tomato soup this winter.

Can anyone tell me what has gone wrong ?

Many thanks

Duncan :-(

Hi Duncan,

The Toms in my greenhouse are exactly in the same condition as yours.

I picked all the toms off the plants, i.e. the ones without any marks
on them and ripened them off in a large cardboard box. So far they have
been ripening off and suffered no damage.

I await some replys as I am trying to find out what has happened to my
crop.

Cheers

Drew