Old 23-12-2002, 11:03 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

Default Romneya coulteri germination(was Happy Christmas!)

The message
from sacha contains these words:

in article , Barry & Iris McCanna at
wrote on 23/12/02 1:17 pm:

I've just opened my first "Christmas Present" - the Chiltern Seed

catalogue
arrived this morning.

As they say in the catalogue "grow something new from seed",

What will you be growing new next year?

Yes mine arrived too. As to new seeds, apart all my choices to the
RHS, HPS and AGS, I'm going to try growing Romneya Coulterii from seed
for the first time. Although this is known to be difficult to
germinate, I found on Google that it likes germinating in smoke and
gives a tip to burn conifer leaves and then mix the ash with seed
compost. Apparently it will then germinate. We shall see!

As you describe, Ray gathers pine needles and puts them in an old tin lid,
or something of that sort. Then he sets fire to it, then he plants the
seeds! He also plants the seeds in a foil lined compost tray, puts pine
needles on top, sets fire to them and waters the ashes in. Both methods
work and both are equally hit and miss! It's really not easy to germinate at
all.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

I'm tempted to try too. Is it just the ash that does it or is actual
heat necessary? I wasn' t sure with Sacha's first method whether the
ashes are added later when cool or whether the seeds are heated by the
process.
Also, Sacha, you say it's not easy to germinate them. Has Ray had *some*
success? How hopeless is it? (The seed isn't cheap!)

Janet G