Old 05-09-2005, 04:24 PM
Ray

I cannot answer your question, but is an IGR appropriate action before
bringing in plants?

Most IGRs do not kill adults, so any insects landing on your plants after
your treatments might just come right in untouched.

I would think that an out-and-out killer insecticide just before bringing
them in would be a better choice, followed by the IGR to prevent maturation
of eggs and larvae the insecticide missed.

"jadel" wrote in message
oups.com...

Can anyone tell me whether liquid pyriproxyfen, an Insect Growth
Regulator, is safe for orchids? I will need to treat my orchids soon
before I bring them in for the winter. I want to eliminate any scale or
other nasties which might be lurking. I have a bottle of Archer IGR
(pyriproxyfen). Supposedly a micro-encapsulated form of pyriproxyfen
can be used on orchids, but I have not been able to find anything about
the liquid form.

I don't want to have to shell out $100 for Enstar II, especially not
after buying the Archer for $57. (It was to control fleas in the
yard--lots of stray cats around here.)

J. Del Col