Old 05-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Jonathan Xavier de Dorf

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 16:43:01 +0100, "Paul D.Smith"
wrote:

And could you tell me how best to get Morning Glory to grow? When do you
plant? Do you plant direct if via pots? I have a few small plants this
year but I've never managed such a display as yours. This despite bindweed
growing in my garden like ...

Cheers,
Paul DS.

I failed a few times to get them to grow outside this year and I think
it is due to planting them out too early...they hate low temperatures
and the young plants are destroyed by strong rain, winds, slugs and
snails. If I remember correctly, the ones that finally grew outside
were in pots indoors until early to mid June. They were quite tangled
up and I spent half an hour untangling them before planting them out.
They don't seem to need a huge amount of sunlight - mine only get
direct sun for 2-3 hours per day.

I have a few more plants growing in a long trough outside on table.
These hang down and are pretty successful. Again, not put outside
until early June. I left them on the table because it's harder for the
slugs to get them there!

I live on the south coast, which may be a bit warmer than northern
scotland...not sure where you are :-)

Mr F.