Old 05-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Srgnt Billko

"Betsy" wrote in message
My lawnmower has been on the fritz all summer. It started cutting out
when it was running. I took it to the local neighborhood guy (he has a
landscaping business & fixes mowers on the side) and he "tuned it up" and
etc. and it ran fine. For awhile.

Then the pull rope broke. I replaced it. It ran fine.

Then a couple weeks later it became difficult to start. As in 15-20 pulls
and a shoulder almost out of joint trying. And when it was turned off it
wouldn't start again.

I took it back. He said it was the starter, and replaced it. Cost $80
for that and a wheel lock which was broken.

The "starter" ??? Doesn't make sense if this is a "pull start" machine.
Unless he meant the recoil starter - the spring loaded mechanism that holds
your pull cord.
Maybe the "cogs" are not engaging - this would account for why he can start
it and you can't. Before actually pulling, give a quick tug on the rope to
engage the "cogs" - make it a short tug and you shouls quickly feel
resistance.