Old 06-09-2005, 01:25 AM
Craig Cowing

On Sep 5, 2005, at 8:07 PM, Jim Lewis wrote:
snip

Well, it wasn't me who asked that question, but . . . :-)

Anyway, it is the MAKING of berries that takes up the energy. After
they're on the tree, they don't do anything but grow old (and probably
get eaten by birds).

If you are worried about use of energy (and on a healthy tree, I
wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about that) you should remove
the flowers when they fade, so the tree doesn't MAKE any berries.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature encourages
no looseness, pardons no errors. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Different tree, same idea--my oldest honeysuckle had berries this year
on just the upper half, and the tree put its energy into making berries
rather than growing the apex more. Next year I'm going to remove the
flowers when they fade, as Jim suggests, and hope that the apex will
grow more.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++